Road director after voters soundly reject fuel tax: "Back to square one"
COLUMBIA- Missourians voted against Proposition D on Tuesday's ballots by 54 percent. The other 46 percent of voters were in favor of the initiative planned to improve Missouri roads and bridges.
Proposition D, if passed, would have raised gas taxes from 17 cents to 27 cents over four years.
Darrea Green, a mother of 5 in Wentzville, said she could spend that extra money on, "food, electricity, anything, everything but gas."
Green drives about an hour to and from work every day. She said gas is expensive enough without a tax increase for roads.
"There's gotta be another way that's maybe a little less expensive for the middle class, the working class," she said.
Greg Edington, Director of Boone County Road and Bridge, said right now there is a half cent sales tax, but that isn't enough for the future.
"We have sufficient funds with our programs now to maintain them but in order to improve roads and keep up with increase traffic and development, it would hurt there, there’s really no extra funding to do anything like that," he said.
Edington said officials did not plan for the ballot outcome one way or another.
"We didn't want to count the chickens before they hatched," he said. "Really, we're back to square one."
Edington said there is definitely a need for funding to keep roads up to standard in counties with a budget shortfall, but it's not up to him to decide what is next.
"It's just our job to sit back and wait to see what our elected officials come up with next," Edington said.